Juniors registration is now closed for 2019. Thank you for your interest!
In 2017 Headwinds was thrilled to host our first Juniors MTB training program. Guiding young riders through the fundamentals of bike care, technique and safety, training up strong smart riders of the future. We are fortunate to have continued the Juniors program in 2018 and are looking forward to another great Juniors season for 2019.
Junior sessions are open to kids 5 years old and older that can pedal on their own (no training wheels or run bikes). We will attempt to group kids by ability once we have a better idea of the skills of the group and turn out. The sessions are volunteer based and meant to simply get kids out riding and having fun. We will need some parents to help out as spotters and ride with the group. MTB skill nights and Road training Days will be in a controlled area, such as an empty parking lot.
All participants that are riding with the group, including parents that choose to ride with us, must be Headwinds Members and complete waivers.
2019 Juniors itinerary
- Bike and helmet check
- Bike/body separation (traction, fore/aft, lateral)
- Trail scanning for smooth and efficient riding
- Climbing and descending on single track terrain
- Banked and flat corners on various terrain surfaces
- Front & rear wheel lifts
- Basic ladder bridges/raised trails
- Basic mechanics and bike set up
- Tight Turns & Switchbacks
- Climbing & Descending
- Wheel Lifts
- Roll Downs
Games and Challenges
- Track stand challenge
- (brake modulation and ratcheting)
- Hill climb challenge (use the back down for descent practice)
- Climbing position and gearing
- Descent position
- Wheel lift challenge
- (over small stick, then ladder bridge)
- Braking challenge
- No skid modulation (use shale or gravel)
- Slow, then add speed
- Figure 8 turn challenge
- (tight turns and switchbacks)
- Fore/aft, lateral course
Season at a glance: